UKAAF is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee.
UKAAF’s objectives are to promote the better integration into society of blind and partially sighted people, or others with any incapability, disability or condition which makes reading difficult (“print impairments”) by:
- Promoting and enhancing the widespread use, availability and quality of formats and materials which are accessible to people with print impairments; and
- Determining the English Literary Braille Code and other official Braille codes within the United Kingdom for public use.
We plan to do this through the following range of activities:
- Improve the social inclusion of blind and partially sighted people, or others with a print impairment, by the promotion of accessible formats (including large print, braille, audio, electronic text, accessible images)
- Provide a leadership voice and representation in the UK for key stakeholders and end-users
- Provide advice and information to organisations and individuals engaged in the production, provision and use of materials transcribed into accessible formats on standards and good practice
- Develop and publish all official (minimum) standards, codes and technical specifications for all formats, including: Braille, audio, large print, electronic file formats and accessible images
- Develop and administer appropriate quality assessment schemes
- Determine the English Literary Braille Code and other official Braille codes to be used within the United Kingdom
- Liaise and collaborate with other groups and organisations, UK and international
- Conduct public consultations
- Foster a spirit of cooperation and information sharing among members and other interested parties where different accessible formats are seen as complementary not mutually exclusive
- Where relevant to the objectives, identify research requirements, commission research and signpost/publish research.
As a registered charity and company limited by guarantee, UKAAF’s Constitution is set out in Memorandum and Articles of Association. They are available here in full for reference.